Saturday, August 30, 2008

Toddler Beds

I'm just a little stressed about the thought of toddler beds. I've always known that someday my kids would have to be moved out of their cribs but I was really hoping that day would be closer to kindergarten (only half kidding here). I'm not exactly sure what it is that stresses me out so much but let me tell you I'm having nightmares about it.

Potty training seemed way less scary to me than going to big beds. Part of it is that I get up at 3 AM to go to work 4 days per week and I don't want to fight them staying in bed. Part of it is that I have had so many people tell me that once they made the move to big beds they lost naps or naps became a challenge and since I get up at 3 I need MY nap! Really though I think that this is really the last part of the baby stage. I know in my head that they are almost 3 and not really babies anymore but cribs are the last line before the babyness is all gone I think.

Once I make the move I will no longer have babies and I'll never again have babies. I know that unless there is a MAJOR act of God I will never again have cribs in my house. I'm not ready to be through with the baby stage and move full force to toddlers.

The decision has been taken from me though and now I must make the jump and take the cribs away. I'm going to have surgery in October and I've been told I can't pick them up for 6 weeks afterwards thus they need to be able to get themselves in and out of bed. I'm going to have a part of my c-section reopened to have an incisional endometrioma removed and a hernia repair.

I'm happy that after pain for 2 years I finally have a diagnosis and finally a plan to make it go away. I'm even a little excited that there is some answer and it's not in my head. However I'm still a little scarred, not about the surgery but by the changes that must take place before hand.

I'll let you know when I get the beds and get them together and I'm sure I'll need lots of encouragement to get through it!!

4 comments:

Misty said...

Do you need anything with the surgery? Can I help any? I had surgery last Dec with no lifting for 6-8weeks, so I understand that.
Oh, big girls beds, that does sound scary.
Keeping you in my prayers.
Misty

we still need to do a playdate!

Hilary said...

Well, I too had big scares of giving up the crib BUT it really turned out to be a good experience. August was climbing out of his crib so we got Lanta a big girl bed and gave him her toddler bed minus all the girlies sheets of course :) He has always been pretty good about staying in it. It has only been in the last couple of days that I have found him out of bed playing. I knew the afternoon nap would end soon for us but I hoped not this soon....I always let them pick out there sheets and blankets to make a big deal..i will be sending all my good thoughts to you!!!!! I hear you it's hard and joyful all at the same time to watch kids grow..

Dorinda said...

While I've yet to move the girls to toddler beds - I too like to take my time with that - but after moving both K&C to toddler beds/real beds they did great. As long as your kids know that this is their bed and its bedtime they don't argue and its no big deal.

I did find with Kaitlyn that I really needed to make the bed feel like a crib so we added side rails and tucked her to the wall and that helped a lot - we had an easy transition - you will too.

I didn't lose naps either. But I'm pretty strict about those :)

So, when you have your surgery do you get a tummy tuck too??

The Amazing Trips said...

The transition to toddler beds wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. Potty training on the other hand has been a NIGHTMARE.

The kids did great >> and actually started sleeping better once out of cribs. The one problem that we ran in to was getting them to go to sleep, so we split the kids up in separate rooms until they were down and then merged them all back together. Thus far >> a year later >> it has worked out really well. And since we do the same thing for nap time, we have preserved the 2-3 hour nap that our kids take every day.

Now our baby. He is a different story all together. Oh, but if only our singleton would sleep as well as our triplets...!!