Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Feeling Bad

I feel so bad and unsure how to explain differences to my children. While at McDonalds this morning there was a small group of children ages ranging from probably 4-15 along with a couple of adults that came in. My first instinct was they shouldn't be playing here they are to big (there was only 1 little one). My second thought was why aren't all those kids in school and finally maybe they are evacuees from Ike.

The kids had been playing as I visited with my friend and I hear Katie screaming coming down the slide. No big deal I think and really it wasn't but it is stuck in my head. Katie comes flying to me with James right behind her telling me "that boy scared me", "great I think to myself those big kids need to get out of here". She was really scared clinging to me and asking for yaya (her beloved lovie that stays at home) and I kept telling her it was ok I'm sure he didn't mean it it's ok. The woman with the children yelled to the boy to come down he had scared that little girl.

The boy came down and very quietly said he was sorry (he may of been around 10). I told him it was ok and thank you and told Katie see its all ok he didn't mean to scare you. She then says he was making noises. The woman with them is telling someone else that just came in what had happened and I over hear her say you know that growling noise he makes. So I tell her "ya she said he was making scary noises".

Ok so here is where my heart breaks and why several hours later I can't get the thought out of my head. She explained to me that the boy stutters a lot and makes noises and gets frustrated. OMG that poor child!! My baby was scared of him and all he was trying to so was talk! Katie obviously doesn't understand and I can understand why it scared her but I feel for that little boy. How awful to have little ones run crying to their mommy simply because of the way he talks.

I so want my children to have compassion and I know that there will be many times that we are faced with people of all kinds and that is really the only way they will learn. I can explain differences to them all the time but they are only 2 so they need a visual to understand and then how much can they really understand!!!

I don't want my babies to be scared but I also hate that their fear can hurt someone elses feelings. This mommy business just keeps getting more and more complicated!

3 comments:

Misty said...

Just the fact that you care that much says sooooo much about you and what a great MOM you are!
Talk to you soon!

Dorinda said...

Oh that is soo hard!! On the one hand you want to protect your children when they are afraid but to find out he wasn't being mean or rude and still she was afraid is really hard.

I'm sure your own attitude and kindness offset any hurt feelings the little boy experienced and I'm glad to know that Katie is okay :)

Unknown said...

I am right there with you girl! THat's how we met Rylee Perry ~ the little girl that had a Bone Marrow transplant and was wearing a mask at Sam's with her Daddy.
The same was true when I had to re-introduce the kids to Miss Carri...she's in a wheelchair.
First of all you did the right thing in comfortin gyour child first, then just explain it in the simplest of terms and leave it at that. Then later when something else happens...use this as a point of reference. Your kids are bright and I KNOW they remember lots more than they are vocalizing at this point...I have NO doubt that Katie will be re-telling this story to YOU in about 6 months!! :-) You are an AWESOME mom and friend! Love ya girl!