Thursday, December 18, 2008

Well he isn't pregnant!

Took James to the Dr on Friday and was told he had a virus, no big deal nothing you can do. We had a great weekend but on Monday afternoon he started going downhill fast and by Tuesday he was miserable. Took him back to the Dr and after a nasty nasal swap the Dr came in and said "well there are 2 lines", so I said "so either he is pregnant or has RSV". The Dr said I stole his line!

When will the letters RSV put together stop scaring me? I know it isn't really dangerous for him anymore but I thought past 2 it was more of a common cold kind of thing not this God awful cough and pain that causes my baby boy to cry in agony and do nothing for more than 5 minutes other than lay on me.

When the triplets were born we were given the very serious warning that RSV could be life threatening and they got a shot every month for the first winter and we weren't allowed to leave the house. We made it through that year thank God but at 1 James caught it. It took a couple of months before he was really back to himself. So not only does it scare me for my baby to get RSV but it terrifies me that we may somehow expose someone elses baby or elderly grandparent.

I've met many moms that have never even heard of it and I say gee it must be nice to not have that knowledge or fear!

7 comments:

Sugar Mommy said...

awe poor sweetie! hope he is feeling better soon!
One of my triplets has had similar symptons. Terrible cough, running nose and all around crankiness...all of the time. We have been to the doc and they say virus...should I have them do an RSV test?

Misty said...

UGH! I do hope he feels better soon! I have heard of more people with RSV this year than any other time. What gives? I agree though, I don't knwo when RSV or MRSA will ever stop scaring me.
I saw your comment on my blog, and YES!!!!! I miss having the glass of wine hanging around!

Dorinda said...

So I guess I shouldn't ask if it's a boy or a girl :)

I am sorry to hear that James is sick! I hate RSV - landed Alyssa in the hospital for 4 days when she was all of 7 pounds - some of the WORST days of my life - still haven't decided if I blame the hospital or RSV though :) Alyssa just would NOT sleep. We've been RSV ever since thank the Lord.

And I am also jealous I don't have a sister! Now I have 4 girls - how weird is that and Caleb has no brothers. Go figure.

JAMIE'S CREW said...

I am sure sorry to hear about the RSV !! YUCK! I think I am now grateful that 4/5 of my family had the stomach flu. It is less terrifying than RSV.

Get well soon over there!

Hilary said...

Get better James!

Hagen and Mason said...

I hope James is feeling better! It is our last year in quarintine - yea!

Ms. Perky said...

I think there are so many things that we HOM moms have been exposed to and know about that most moms just are completely in the dark about. Most moms have never seen the inside of a NICU, don't know what an NG tube, TPN, CPAP, Apnea monitor, RSV, or any of a huge number of thigns are. Things that are common in our lexicon are things that most mothers have simply never heard of.

I often wonder what it would have been like to have a normal, full-term singleton without all the fuss. My eldest is a foster son whom we got when he was 13 months, so even with him, I didn't experience life with a full term singleton as many assume I did.

I'm sorry your baby is suffering - it must be awful. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.