Tuesday, February 5, 2008

You want me to do what?!?!

Got the kiddos up and out early this morning and to the ENT for James's check of his tonsils and adnoids. I expected it to be completely normal appointment so I didn't worry about bringing the girls and the distraction. Not exactly normal but nothing really alarming.

First off he looks at James's tonsils and tells me they are a little enlarged (didn't seem to bothered by this), then he looks in his ears and tells me there is a lot of fluid behind his ears and asked if he had many ear infections. He has had 3 in his life, one of those just a month ago. It's possible the fluid is just residual from this infection but he wants to see us back in a month to recheck them.

He then informs me that there was a part of the hearing test he was concerned about but it could be because of the fluid (my fingers and toes are crossed). Here is the part that I really needed my fairy Godmother to remove all the children so I could talk to the dr without interuption, although I really needed her to return my ears to my head so I could listen without hearing over and over "I'm concerned about this hearing test"! I swear the Dr said those words and all questions and rational thought went out of my head.

The best I heard and I don't understand sorry is that he passed the volume part something about 25 being the cut off for passing and James had a 25? I looked on my friend google and I'm thinking he was talking about decibles in which case the lowest volum he hears is 25 decibles and this is ok. The part that I don't understand was something about side to side hearing and him not having a peak. He showed me a picture of what the graph is supposed to look like and James's was on top and the 2 looked nothing alike.

Again all of this can be explained by the fluid as can the speech so a part of me will be ok if the fluid is still there because that would explain why I can't understand him, he is saying what he hears and if there is fluid it is garbled for him.

Since his tonsils were enlarged he wants to get a better idea of the adnoids so he wants me to watch James's sleep and report to him next month. Does he snore? Is he restless? Ok ok ok I know you guys are all thinking whats the big deal stick your head in the room after he is asleep and see or maybe you are thinking "gee lady why don't you already know these thing?".

Here is my problem and please no flames but I'm probably the only mom in the world that doesn't check on her kids after they go to bed at night. First off I'm near blind in light but I'm completly blind in the dark, second I don't have great sleepers and why in the hell would I risk awakening my children once they are asleep?

When they were really little I used to check on them and cover them up and no big deal somewhere along the way I got tired of not sleeping and started closing their door so they would be less likely to be disturbed. I know bad mommy, I have gone in on occasion when someone was sick to check breathing but it always ends up waking 1, 2, or 3 babies and dang it I don't want to wake up 1, 2, or 3 babies!

So I tell the dr that this would be difficult since they shared a room and his answer "I know". Not I understand, no suggestions basically he was telling me I need the answer your the mom figure it out. Any ideas moms? I've thought of a video monitor but I really don't have an extra $100 laying around to buy one and I've asked in my local MOM's group if anyone had one they would lend me but no takers.

I'm throwing this out to you very smart moms, how do I find out how my son is sleeping? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

My name is Tammie said...

Can you just do a regular monitor? My son's snoring rivals his dad's and I can hear it clearly on the monitor. I too hate going into their room but I can quietly open their door to check in on them. Albeit blindly but hey, I can hear.

Now this is my question. Didn't the NICU check their hearing? I thought that was standard? No?

Tripletblessed said...

Thanks Tammie I am going to try a regular monitor but the kids sleep with a sound machine so I'm not sure how much I can actually hear but I'm going to try it.
The NICU did check their hearing before they left and all passed.

Dorinda said...

Do you have a guest room that James could sleep in for a night in a PNP? That way you only risk waking one baby and not all three :) Even a large bathroom might work or a portion of the living room. Just for a night to listen to him.

I make daddy check on the babies at night so it's not me waking them up!

The Rogers Triplets said...

Surveillance camera with night vision????

My name is Tammie said...

My kids sleep with a sound machine too and the monitor is in the closet behind closed door's next to the machine and I can still hear them breathe. Its a cheap cheap monitor too. May be worth the $15 to see?

Ms. Perky said...

Might suggest just having him sleep with you one night to see what his sleeping pattern is like. Or just deal with the fact that you're going to wake them up one night...it's not like you'll have to wake them up every night in perpetuity. Most kids will return to sleep pretty easily once woken, if they were in a deep enough sleep in the first place. Also, use a regular monitor to monitor for snoring, but turn the sound machine down. Don't put the monitor right next to the sound machine...put it on the opposite side of the room. You should be able to pick up the snoring still.