Monday, November 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Babies!

OMG my babies are 3! I don't know where the last 3 years have gone, but I know they have been full of smiles, laughter, fun, and lots and lots of love. We had a very busy weekend Nanny (Jim's mom) arrived on Thursday night to spend a few weeks with us and their birthday party was yesterday so we have been busy preparing and partying.

We had a wonderful family party with 4 cakes, yep you read that right my nephews birthday was on the 1st so he was kind enough the share his party. I figure my kids have to share with each other why not another? I did want everyone to have their own cake though since it was still their special day. Aunt Lori was wonderful enough to make 4 wonderful cakes but since every time I asked the kids what they wanted on their cakes the answer changed she did a wonderful collaboration of their request. She made Lane a chocolate football cake and for the triplets she made 3 horseshoe cakes that were linked together with chocolate bridges, they had a gingerbread road with papacyles driving down each cake and wonderful scenery of flowers, turtles, butterflies, and even water under the bridges! Almost everything was edible. I have pictures but they don't even begin to do them justice. Aunt Lori must have spent HOURS working on them and my uncle and his friend even designed something to get them to the party safely! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

There were tons of presents to be opened the favorites by far are the scooters and diego cameras, and the helmets and pads that have been almost constantly since they opened them. We got Barbies and I'm so excited I can't wait to build their collection I loved playing with Barbies when I was little and I can't wait to spend hours playing with my girls!. James got this really cool pirates ship and they have really enjoyed it as well but I don't know what to do with boys toys so I had to instruct Jim to show them. I am so lost with boys toys I just don't know how to play with them since I was a girlie girl always playing with dolls and house, and Barbies.

Today my mother in law and I took the kids to Incredible Pizzeria for lunch and had so much fun. It was great because there were only a few other kids there and we ended up spending 2 1/2 hours there the kids were exhausted when we got home. Chuck E Cheese doesn't have anything on this place!

While the kids were napping I made cookies and when they woke up I took them to the NICU along with a thank you note. This is my tradition my special way to remember them and all the work they do and how important they were to my babies 3 years ago. Every year I've taken them something. Usually the kids are with me and we have to wait in the hall and the nurses come out to see us but this year the kids have had a cold and I didn't want to take any chances. So they let me in to deliver the cookies and it was so overwhelming I've only been in there one other time since they were there and wow it was a rush of emotions. I swear there is a smell that is exclusive to the NICU and as soon as I walked in it hit me and I could so clearly remember walking in those doors everyday and walking out every day with out my babies and then our final days there. Wow I can't even explain how grateful I am for the last 3 years and for the people that helped me have them. So today while I celebrate the birthday of my babies I also reflect on all the people that brought them to us and that helped them survive those early weeks of their lives.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABIGAIL, KATIE, AND JAMES


For some reason blogger won't let me add pictures tonight I've tried several times so I'll try again tomorrow, sorry!

4 comments:

Dorinda said...

Happy, happy, happy 3rd birthday to Abigail, Katie and James!! Isn't November 10th one of the best days of the year :) So glad you guys had a great day!

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Abigail,Katie, and James! We love you SO much!! What an amazing first three years you have had and I KNOW that you give your mommy SO much JOY (even on your "bad" days)!! What a BLESSING it is to have you ALL in our lives!! Miss Cyndy, Garrett and Maggie

Misty said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Abigail, Katie, & James! How cool is it that the birthdays are soooo close together. Ours is the 13th.
So glad you had a great day. I love you tradition. What a great way to honor all of the nicu nurses and staff.

Hilary said...

Great pictures..Happy 3rd birthday guys!!!!