Monday, December 31, 2007

Pay it Forward

2007 has ended showing the true kindness of strangers to me.

Today I took the kids to the grocery store to pick up a couple of things and got a few extras that were on sale. James and Katie were super excited because they got to ride in the front of the car cart or should I say drive while Abigail rode up front with me holding the groceries. I decided to use the self checkout line because I could have better control over the kids in the cart. I finished checking everything and then realized after tearing apart the diaper bag and my wallet that I had left my debit card in my purse at home. I took the kids out to the car just to check and very embarrassed went back in and they told me they would just hold it until I got back.

I took the kids out of the cart, stupid idea I should have just pushed it to the car and taken them out. James threw a horrible, terrible fit to get out screaming vroom vroom and throwing himself on the ground. So I carried him and held the girls hands in my other hand, this isn't any big deal we do it all the time and the kids are great about not running away. I told James as we were walking out the door to please stop I was already embarrassed don't make it worse, a lady smiled at me and said "oh don't be embarrassed it's no big deal". Abigail fell down in the middle of the parking lot and I had to carry her and James all the time trying to herd Katie to the car without holding onto to her very scary! I got the kids in the van and noticed that the lady from the door was standing there waiting for me. Well I had already lost my cool with James so I thought for sure she was going to give me a hard time but boy was I wrong. Instead she asks me to please stay while she buys my groceries so I don't have to come back and unload the kids all over again.

I felt a flood of emotions ranging from embarrassment that I didn't have my money and this woman must think I was poor, to overwhelming joy that there was that kind of person in the world.

She brought my groceries out and I fell all over myself to thank her and I cried like a baby. She just said "someday you will see someone that needs something so just pay it forward"!
Can you believe it? I have heard of this but never have been the receiver of such a thing how awesome!

So I'm on the watch out now for a way to brighten someone else's day the way this lady did mine.

Hope you all have a safe and happy new year I know that we will!!!!

4 comments:

Amy Kilpatrick said...

You deserve such an awesome thing to happen to you, Misty! You are a great Mom. I saw on TV the pay-it-forward effect at a Starbuck's where one lady paid for her drinks along with the car behind her, then that car paid for the drinks behind him, and so on. This went on for 2 hours! Cool idea, huh?

My name is Tammie said...

Ohhh how wonderful! That is such a beautiful story! How nice of that woman. Happy New Year.

JAMIE'S CREW said...

GREAT story Misty! That was a great thing to read about. You will remember that forever! I love the concept of pay-it-forward.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Misty - I was all misty eyed reading that - amazing and so beautiful.
What a blessing that dear lady was.