Thursday, March 6, 2008

James ENT

Just an update on my little man. He saw the ENT on Tuesday for a follow up and he is scheduled for surgery next Friday March 14 to have tubes placed, his adenoids and tonsils removed. I'm very scared and not entirely sure that I'm making the right decision regarding the tonsils. Heck who am I kidding I'm not sure I'm making the right decision period!

He has fluid in both ears and the the tympanogram showed no movement in either ear he had a complete flat line in both. This means that his ear drum isn't moving and the way the Dr explained it basically James hears everything like he is underwater which may explain his speech. As for the adenoids it is a quick easy removal and to the best of my understanding he doesn't really need them anymore also if they are enlarged it can affect his speech.

As for the tonsils I'm not sure that we have a valid reason to remove them. James is a VERY light sleeper and a mouth breather and his tonsils are enlarged. The tonsils can stay enlarged or they could shrink to normal. Some people with enlarge tonsils have no problems at all others have recurrent tonsillitis and strep throat, there is also a possibility that his tonsils could affect his speech. There is some discus ion in the medical community regarding tonsil removal and the effect on immunity.

The Dr explained that he doesn't usually like to remove tonsils before the age of 3 because of the possibility of blood loss and blood volume but James is 28 lbs so he said that wasn't a big concern. My question was if we don't remove them now what are the chances they will need to be removed later and he said there was a good possibility, but as I previously stated there is the possibility they won't. As a mommy I'm thinking if we remove them now he won't have to risk going under anesthesia again. There is also a potential link between removal of tonsils and less asthma problems and since James has asthma I'm all for helping him with that! Also the older he gets the harder the recovery can be.

So I went ahead and said to remove the tonsils but every since then I've seriously wondered if I'm doing the right thing. Jim is not much help he doesn't have any real opinion other than if we don't remove them now and he has to go back it will cost us more in co pays! I've asked everyone their opinion and no one wants to come right out and say ya that's what I would do or no I would wait. I get the same ole well you are his mom and you know best.

Maybe my mom license should be taken away and given to a much more competent person? So if you have any experience on this subject or not you can just tell me what you think and what you would do!

Thanks.

7 comments:

Is it always triple trouble??? said...

ok my thought or what has happen with my boys
2 yrs dalton and dominic tubs
4 yrs dalton tubs adenoids removed
3 month later at in december dominic tubs and adenoids taken out of dominic and christopher and all three had tonsils taken out but they had strep like 7 times in 4 months so that is different i also did not know about asthma and tonsils but thinking now dalton and dominic have been great sence them
i think the tubs are good and even the adenoids being taken out are great but i would have said no to the tonsils till u said it helps with asthma i sorry girl that is a tose up i might do it if it were me because of maybe not haveing so many meds for treatments but to they do say to try and keep them for till they are NEEDED to take them out
i am sorry girl no help with the tonsils but anyways there is my 2 cents hugs hun i am here call anytime if u want to chat or even get your thought out i am here hugs also just another FYI
i am taking dalton and dominic back again to the ent friday dalton went two weeks ago because of ear infection but dominic went to ped anyways he is to go to ent
will keep u updated
steph

Elyse said...

My brother had his tonsils out, adenoids out, and tubes put in his ears at 2. You are doing the right thing. James will be tired, very tired, for a while, but taking his pain away is the best thing a mom can do.

You are a good mom and your license does not need to be stripped! You do your best and that is all that you have to do!!

PS- I found your blog through the Wilkinson Quints.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

you are a great mum who has considered the options from the way I see it.
I had my tonsils and adenoids out many years ago LOL on my 4th birthday (yes my mum was cruel)
I nursed many children after having their tonsils out and it wasn't so bad ...be warned if he throws up it looks scary full of old blood but the medical staff watch kids closely.
James may have a sore throat but he will get over it quickly - kids bounce back well especially little ones.
You can sometimes only follow the DR's advice but at least you have asked some questions.
You need a 'Gold' mum's licence.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I found your blog through the Wilkensen Quits blog. You are making the right decision. While I don't have children yet, my mom was in the same situation with me when I was a child. She chose not to have them removed and after getting strep 17 times my sophmore year of college, I had them removed. The recovery time when you are older is a lot longer and more painful. I was out of commission for a good two weeks. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Katherine.Hamm@careerbuilder.com

Casey's trio said...

I hope all goes well with whatever decision you make. It is so hard sometimes when you question if the decsion you are making is the right one. Trust your mommy instinct and it sounds like you have a good doc on board. Good luck!

Tripletblessed said...

Thank you all so much for the kind words. This parenthood thing isn't as easy as it looks on tv!

My name is Tammie said...

Oh yeah, I totally agree, I'd do it for sure. I had nothing but problems my entire childhood with all of that. Tubes 2 times, adnoids removed when I was a preteen and then my tonsils removed when I was 18. If I could have gotten it all over with as a baby that would have been so much better. A lot less missed days of school, miserable ear aches and sore throats and better sleep. A win win if you ask me.

I am sad though to hear that little man needs surgery. Thats so sad. Poor baby. I hope he feels better very soon and heals very quickly. I'll be thinking very good thoughts for him Friday.