Monday, November 19, 2007

Terrible, sad day

Today will be marked on the calander as a day I'll never forget. My mil, bil, 3 nephews and niece are all visiting from CO for the week and today my sweet 10 year old nephew Joeseph was attacked by my dog. My sweet, loving Max attacked Joseph sending him to the hospital where he got well over 30 stiches in his leg, arm, and nose. His nose may require a plastic suregeon because it was punctured all the way through and down one nostril removing a chunk. He had a very deep bite in his leg that required two sets of stiches one inside and one out. His arm isn't as bad thankfully.

We have no idea what happened, Joseph walked out the back door closing it behind him to play with Max and Max attacked. This is so unlike my baby Max he has never so much as growled at my children even when they poked at him through his bed. The triplets run to the back gate when we get home on nice days to pet him and the only thing I've ever worried about was him knocking them down in excitement.

My mom has joked that Max was going to be my second set of eyes protecting the kids from harm. He became an outside dog after the triplets came home from the hospital because we worried that he might jump on the kids he was just a puppy only a year old and had so much energy when they came home.

We got Max in 2004 after Jims last test came back with almost no motile sperm and we were told we wouldn't have children without IVF. He was my baby he consoled me in my need, he was a 30 lb lap dog terrified of my moms cats. He used to sit on the floor with his head on my tummy while I was pregnant.

Animal contril came and took him away today to quarentine him for 10 days because he wasn't up to date on his shots and we released him to their care. After talking to the officer that came we signed him away because we just can't take any chances that he would attack our babies. The officer said that an animal that has attacked before is very prone to do it again.

Please say a prayer for my nephew tonight that he heals well and that my baby is treated well and knows how much I love him.

3 comments:

Is it always triple trouble??? said...

i am so sorry hun...hugs

Anonymous said...

Hugs and prayers for everyone = for Joseph, for you, your family, and the pup. So sad.

Amy Kilpatrick said...

I had no idea, Misty! I am so sorry for you, your nephew, all your family. Everyone is affected by this. It is hard to understand why animals act the way they do sometimes. Remind me to tell you about my younger sister and when she was attacked by our Husky...she was only 5 at the time. UGH...I will definitely say prayers!