Friday, May 23, 2008

Life Changing Moments

3 years ago I waited very impatiently to see what the future held. Jim, my mom and I all waited while the sono tech I worked for finished his morning and of course he was running late. Finally my turn came along I was only 7 weeks pregnant but already my HCG levels were higher than normal indicating a possible multiple pregnancy.

I laid on the bed and he ran the wand over my tummy and we waited he looked and immediatly found 2 strong heartbeats, and then he saw the 3rd sac. There was a little heartbeat in there but it was so close to the side of the sac he couldn't be sure it wasn't just my heartbeat pulsing. Having worked for an OB for a couple of years I knew he would get a better image with the "other" kind of sono so I quickly told everyone to please leave so I could take my clothes off and get under the sheet.

Jim stayed in the room and he just kept saying " I told you, I told you this was going to happen". He wasn't happy or excited he was purely terrifed. I felt electrified and excited and more scared and unsure than I had ever felt in my life. Surely enough the sono showed all three babies and my life turned upside down.

We had tried for a couple of years and at one point were told we had less than a 1% chance of ever having a baby without IVF. When we did the first transfer we transfered 2 perfect 5 day embryos and I got a positive pregnancy test a short 7 days later but my numbers weren't good and only a few days later I lost the pregnncy.

Jim wasn't really onboard with trying again but I begged and promised if we could try a frozen cycle I would give up my dream of being a mommy, he reluctently agreed. 2 months later we transfered 3 beautiful embryos and were told the chances all 3 would take was less than 10%.

3 years ago today I saw my beautiful rice sized babies and the most wonderful little heartbeats in the world. Jim didn't tell anyone he didn't speak for 3 days he was just so angry and scared. I told everyone!!! I had waited until we saw the sono to tell anyone so it was even more exciting to tell everyone there were 3. My mom ran out that same day and bought me maternity clothes she was so excited she couldn't stop smiling and she was as giddy as a small child on Christmas.

It's so amazing to me that now I have 2 1/2 year old triplets running around driving me crazy and occasionally bang my head on the wall but most of the time they melt my heart and make me the happiest woman in the world.

Who would have guessed that a moment desicion to transfer 3 microscopic embryos would forever change so many lives.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Just awesome!! God is good!

Dorinda said...

But aren't you just so glad you did? Kirk and I debated back and forth, back and forth over a third. He didn't want multiples - they don't make snuglis for multiples he said (that's how we survived the first two kids - he wore them in snuglis). Our cycle was going horribly - I knew it was going to fail - they weren't following my instructions. Then sure enough we had two huge follicles. I remember thinking "twins" but what are the chances of them actually taking anyway?

There was a third follicle but I paid it no attention. So, to say I was shocked when they found three heartbeats would be an understatement. I never dreamed there would actually be three.

Today I am glad we continued with that cycle even though I know if they had done what I told them to do we would have only had one :) Oh well, their screw up is my gain!

I'm so glad we're in this journey together and that we both found our three beautiful heartbeats. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Precious !
I love hearing store is like this ... our boys were 6 day old embryos and we just had no idea ... of the double delight that was in store for us.
We have our a'ha argh days believe me but I think I'll keep them.